Friday, February 28, 2014

Ugh not another game idea.

So my trusty 'Ol computer has been down for another month. Thankfully, this recent misfortune is not nearly as miserable as the last; I've taken to getting in shape and reading in my spare time, and I've felt a real refreshing new surge of creativity.  I like to jot down lots of new ideas as they occur to me, and a while ago I had one I was interested in sharing.
So I've been thinking lately about game anthologies.
This has been an emerging trend in video games, but I don't think it has fully explored its potential. Groups of game developers have on occasion come together to curate a collection of closely-related games, such as in Sports Friends, or the winners of a themed game jam. Single developers have also at times released a group of minigames they have made to be purchased in a bundle, but I've yet to really encounter much more of this, even though I believe this would be a wonderful exploration.
I like to imagine a group of developers who come together for the express purpose of making a series of closely related games based within a single theme or world. Each game would explore something different, but they would all be made to be consumed within one package. To only play one game would not be to get the entire experience; the point is to play all of them and critique them as a whole.

Example 1: GartenFlower (world connection)
Every game takes place in the world of GartenFlower. Most creatures are a plant-like species.

SmuggleBunnies: You're a band of ferocious pirate bunnies trying to get a shipment of tulip heads to the far east. A long journey awaits aboard your airship, you must also avoid the pumpkin policia and survive gangrene.
Sunlight: You're a young sapling trying to survive in a less than hospitable environment. Essentially, a growing simulator.
CactusRiot: play as an extremist protestor against the slaughter and consumption of your verdant brethren for fuel and construction. Smash pumpkin policia heads for justice.

Example 2: Blue (thematic connection)
Every game in this collection is about the color blue

Shades of depression: a poem-game about how people mistake depression for sadness.
Drop's Adventure:  a single drop of water travels through oceans, rain, and rivers, going through a cycle of precipitation.
Blue Boy: A game about a boy who is blue and everybody hates him because that's weird.

This kind of project could even be undertaken by a single developer in a game-jam style; they pick a unique theme or have someone pick it for them (if they want the extra challenge) and he or she spends some time developing a handful of ideas that spring from that source, developing them (simultaneously?) to be released together. I hope some day in the future I'll be able to have the resources to do something like this.

A friend of mine on Twitter pointed out that Terry Cavanaugh did a chapter-based affair with some other developers in a way that resembled my idea. I've yet to play this Experiment 12, but it's probably worth mentioning. I may come back to this post later once I've played it and share my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment