Saturday, December 27, 2014

this is definitely a bad idea


Since the holidays have rolled around and Salty and I have been unable to collaborate on our games (namely, Dantelyon for me and an unannounced project Salty's working on) due to us spending time at home with family, I thought I'd take it upon myself to try a small game completely on my own. Yeah, that means (argh!) I'll have to program it myself, too.


This winter vacation I REALLY wanted to focus on self-improvement, stretching and exercising all of the creative muscles I had previously allowed to atrophy due to school and work obligations. so far, it's been great! every couple of days I go out to sketch perspective scenes, I've started animating again, I'm reading lots and lots, and I'm also learning to skateboard. ahhhh, It's lovely.

This project covers three more things I'd like to improve--pixel art, something I've shied away from in the past, UI art, something I'm -supposed- to be an expert in, and programing, something I should definitely be doing a lot more of but don't do because auuuughghghg my brain.

folks, I present to you Charmixy Academy!
I wanted something that was simple for me but still a teeny bit challenging. The gameplay is just a real-time battle strategy game (think pokemon but without taking turns) mixed with match-3 tile games. you match 3 of the same element tiles (I'm making the game colorblind friendly, btw) to charge up a "charm", and each charm has its own special ability. tap a charm to cast a spell on your opponent. whoever runs out of health loses. Very straightforward, I think; all I have to do is figure out how to program all of that...

As I kid, I was definitely a collector. I'd pick up bottlecaps and paper-clips off the street and string them into bracelets. I also loved the idea of pokemon; having this whole world which revolved around a game and there were lots of things to collect and do and adventures to go on (even though I came to the unfortunate realization that it was glorified dogfighting D:)! Finally, I fucking love magic. like, old fashion, bubble bubble boil and trouble eye of newt feather of phoenix type shit. putting all of those loves together inspired Charmixy. You play as a girl coming of age who discovers she's descended from witches, and gets whisked away to the fantastical Charmixy academy! there she learns all about Charmixy, which are magical accessories that witches and wizards wear to cast spells. It's a fun idea and helped inform a lot of the game's aesthetic--a very old fashioned but charming, worn foundation mixed with modern, cute pop elements. As you can see, I've finished most of the art and am about to move into the 


P.S: this is a SMALL side project, do you hear me? this is NOT something completely new I'm starting to procrastinate and its making me a better person and I will NOT stop working on Dantelyon until its done. DO YOU HEAR ME? DONT DO WHAT IM DOING KIDS! THIS CAN ONLY END IN TEARS?

No comments:

Post a Comment