Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Playing History at GDC Part 2 -- Grim Fandango and Shadow of the Colossus


Yesterday and today I have had a shift patrolling a booth by the MADE, a videogame museum based in Oakland. We had nothing to do and the booth people encouraged us to try out the exhibits, so we played the whole two hours we were there. Two of the games I got to experience were Shadow of the Colossus and Grim Fandango.

Shadow of the Colossus was so visually stunning, I could hardly believe it. I wasn't very good at the game, unfortunately (the demonstration skipped most of the control tutorials and went straight to the first Colossus) but I had so much fun just exploring the visuals of the game I didn't even notice my horribleness. I never felt more like I was playing a movie my entire life--I have to urge anyone playing to play special attention to the camera's behavior throughout the game, as it was incredibly important in conveying certain emotions. The movement of the game's objects also behave visually just as they would in a movie, even down to the motion blur, which I thought looked brilliant. Lastly, the animation was incredible. Wander, the main character, moved so humanlike in everything he did that it was very easy to believe he was a real person. I think I spent the most time watching him and his movements as I played, trying to figure out how he went so fluidly from one action to the next.

The other game I played was not nearly as visually amazing to me, but I imagine it must have been in its time--I think Grim Fandango, despite how simple it seems compared to something like Shadow of the Colossus (but really, it isn't fair to compare the two because they are so unlike each other!) has aged well. I had fun figuring out the puzzles and exploring the world, (which I loved--I mean, Dia De Los Muertos? Film Noir? Totally my thing!) but what I found was the strongest element of the game was its dialogue. I was giggling to myself many times as I played along.

Lastly, I would be doing myself and the world a disservice if I didn't mention playing Looping Louie. As I said before many times, Louie cannot be described, he must be experienced.
Damn you, Louie. Damn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment